Need for rovers
- High flexibility for the selection of measurement locations, in particular in response to earlier results.
- Capabilities to characterise not only the landing spot but representative surface areas by measurements
- The development of planetary rovers can be segmented into specific periods :
- In the sixties in the USA and Russia lunar rovers, manned and unmanned, were developed and launched in the seventies.
- In the eighties large vehicles were constructed by NASA for a Mars sample return mission, which was finally not carried out.
- In the nineties small rovers and micro-rovers for Mars and the Moon have been developed.